Outfit Mission Statement: Dress down pieces by combining them with casual pieces for an overall business casual look.
Manic Monday outfits are easy career clothes to throw on for manic Mondays. This Monday we focus on two things: comfort and color. The POW (Piece of the Week) is the cabi fall 2015 Media Jacket. Since the season is now over, this particular jacket can no longer be ordered. I have some substitutes below that are available. From your own closet, you can substitute a cropped jacket and/or a flashy jacket in a shorter style. If you must have this jacket, contact me and I may be able to put you in touch with a stylish who has a sample left.
For this outfit, I combined a professional and somewhat flashy cropped jacket and a lovely & striking blouse with super comfortable & casual track pants. The overall look is professional, maybe even more professional than I will tend to post for Manic Mondays. In fact, with the black track pants, you have to get pretty close to realize I’m wearing really casual track pants! The elastic cuff adds to the casual, but also allows you to play off some cute shoes. You can really dress up those comfy, lounging-around-the-house pants with the right jacket and blouse, and ease right into Monday with the same comfort as your Sunday outfit! The key is to find comfortable pants that don’t look like sweat pants or yoga pants. Look for thick knits in darker colors. I recommend ponte knits, which tend to be denser and keep a professional shape. You can work with a range of pants from good pointe knit leggings (just make sure to wear a longer blouse or tunic to cover that bum at work!), knit track pants like these, or ponte knit or twill trousers/pants. The seams down the front of these track pants add a professional edge, while giving the appearance of longer legs!
- Take casual, comfortable knit pants and combine with a professional blouse and jacket for a comfortable and professional outfit
- Look for darker and denser knits to pull this off
- Play up casual elements, like the elastic cuffs, with fun and professional touches, like the shoes
- Look for design elements that add a touch of professionalism, like the seams or a professional pattern
- Limit the casual pieces to one, and keep everything else professional to best pull this off
- Jacket: Shown is the Fall 2015 cabi media jacket, which is now unavailable. Contact me if you must have it and I may be able to direct you to a stylist who has it. Here are a few other cropped jackets to consider instead:
- Blouse: This striking and flattering wonder is also a cabi Fall 2015 piece, and no longer available for order. If you must have it, let me know, and I may be able to put you in touch with a stylist who can sell you a sample. For this look, you can use a blouse with sleeves or not, so here are some current season cabi pieces to consider:
- Vita Blouse: The draped front and cutout back are similar to the amazing fall Diamond Blouse, so I know this blouse will be faltering and (when the jacket is off) sexy.
- Plaza Top: This one has great colors and a longer hem for when you are rocking leggings to work.
- Siena Blouse: If you want something with a bohemian flavor, consider this one. The tie will be cute under a jacket.
- Blossom top: Like the Vita Blouse, this will give you the striking pop of color you see in the Amour blouse I am modeling.
- Pants: Like the other cabi pieces in this post, these are Fall 2015 and no longer available for order (likewise contact me if you must have them and I will see if I can find a stylist with leftover samples).
- If you want to stick with cabi, the Capote Trouser is a comfortable Ponte twill and has the flattering seams
- Joie Mariner B. Track Pants: Very similar, but pricier ($168.00)
- Gap’s Flannel Joggers: More casual, but more affordable (and on sale! $34.99)
- Crepe Joggers: The crepe should make these work quite nicely for work ($25.00 plus %30 off till 1/18)
- Jewelry: I’m keeping it simple with earrings only. These are the Stella & Dot Kahlo Linear earrings, which I bought in 2014 and are no longer available. Pull something from your jewelry box that pulls out one of the colors in your top.
- Shoes: These are an old, beloved pair of A2s from Aerosoles. Here are some in stock options: