Outfit Mission Statement: For professional outfits, limit your bold and striking pieces to two and keep accessories neutral and minimal.
Working it Wednesday outfits are professional career clothes, often a step or two above Manic Monday outfits. The POW (Piece of the Week) is the cabi fall 2015 Media Jacket. This time, I took the blouse and jacket combo from the Monday look to the Wednesday look, trading the casual track pants for a more professional skirt. This skirt, blouse, and jacket combo is very professional, yet it packs power and color. The flowers and gathered collar of the blouse and the wrap overlap detail on the skirt give the outfit a feminine flair, which is balanced with the metallic, futuristic sheen of the jacket. Given the color and shine of this outfit, you can keep your jewelry and make-up to a minimum and let the clothing shine. Plus, the lovely gathered collar detailing means you can let the collar be your necklace for the day (saving some time looking for the perfect piece). Since this outfits has two of the same pieces as the Manic Monday outfit, I do not suggest wearing them the same week!
- When your blouse and jacket make strong statements, keep your accessories and makeup minimal
- If you have a fancy collar, consider not wearing a necklace to bring focus to the collar (and not fight with it); if you do wear a necklace, go for longer styles
- If you have a great jacket and blouse combo, consider ways to dress it up and down for variety and to stretch that wardrobe, such as this professional outfit and the more casual Manic Monday outfit
- Don’t be afraid to combine two bold pieces, as long as you keep the rest neutral
The clothing items in this outfit are all cabi Fall 2015, and no longer available. Contact me if you must have it and I may be able to direct you to a stylist who has it. I offer ways to substitute from you own closet or alternatives below. I normally will make the POW a currently available item, but my blog launched later than planned.
- Jacket: Shown is the Fall 2015 cabi media jacket, which is now unavailable. From your own closet, you can substitute a cropped jacket and/or a flashy jacket in a shorter style. Or, if you want to purchase, here are a few other cropped jackets to consider instead:
- Blouse: This striking and flattering wonder is also a cabi Fall 2015 piece, and no longer available for order. For this look, you can use a blouse with sleeves or not. Look for bright feminine blouses in your closet or here are some current season cabi pieces to consider:
- Vita Blouse: The draped front and cutout back are similar to the amazing fall Diamond Blouse, so I know this blouse will be faltering and (when the jacket is off) sexy
- Plaza Top: This one has great colors and a longer hem for when you are rocking leggings to work
- Isla Cami: For a bright animal-inspired print with button details, go no further
- Blossom top: Like the Vita Blouse, this will give you the striking pop of color you see in the Amour blouse I am modeling
- Skirt: Another Fall 2015 cabi piece, this flattering skirt can be exchanged for a neutral pencil skirt. If you are looking for something new, consider:
- Lido Skirt: From the cabi Spring 2016 collection, this gives you a neutral navy pencil skirt with a tiered hem for a bit of added style (and it has pockets!!!)
- Ponte Pencil Skirt: Ann Taylor has some great pencil skirts, including this slimming ponte one
- Dobby Pencil Skirt: Another Ann Taylor pencil skirt in a more sophisticated fabric than the ponte
- Shoes: Sorry, yes, another unavailable item. These are from Target last year, I think. But, Target has some good substitutes:
- Earrings: I kept it simple with gunmetal gray hoops. I bet you can find something similar easily. These were from Charming Charlie a few years ago.