Outfit Mission Statement: Add a cape, shawl, or other special piece to increase the formality of your outfit and add layering options
Sunday Best POW outfits are special occasion clothes for dinning, theater, opera, holiday parties, church, and other such occasions that need something special. The POW (Piece of the Week) is the cabi fall 2015 Media Jacket. While already a dressier item, to make it Sunday Best, I threw on a cape! There is nothing like a cape to make something special. In addition to the cape, the outfit includes a little black dress and some nice heels. The dress, jacket, and heels, especially with some nice jewelry, would be a fine Sunday Best outfit. But the cape take it up a notch, while adding some fun and comfort. Also, the cape adds some nice warmth, which I often appreciate in fancier venues that seem to think they are refrigerators. The nice thing about this outfit is the layers. If you start with this, you can remove the cape for a nice dress and jacket look. Or, you can remove the jacket for a classy dress and cape look. Or you can keep the three for extra pizzazz. This gives your versatility based on things like the room temperate, being unsure about dress code until you arrive (who hasn’t been there?), changes of plans, spills (yes, I have a toddler), and anything else that may be best met by adjusting your outfit. I wore simple hoops for this outfit, but feel free to throw on a great necklace and earrings. I’d lean more towards big dangling earrings with no necklace or a small one, as the cape may be covering some or all of the neck, depending on how It is draped. Plus, its fun to rock some big dangling earrings.
- Look for a special piece, like a cap, to up the formality/dressiness of an outfit
- A little black dress makes a great base layer for dressy outfits
- Consider three versatile pieces, such as a dress, jacket, and scarf or cape, so you can wear the dress with either item or both, as needed during the special occasion
- With a cape and flashy jacket, you can keep jewelry basic; but if you want to go beyond basic, focus on striking (like big and dangling) earrings, as your necklace may be hidden by the cape or at least may compete with it
The clothing items in this outfit are all cabi Fall 2015, and no longer available. Contact me if you must have it and I may be able to direct you to a stylist who has it. I offer ways to substitute from you own closet or alternatives below. I normally will make the POW a currently available item, but my blog launched later than planned.
- Jacket: Shown is the Fall 2015 cabi Media Jacket, which is now unavailable. From your own closet, you can substitute a cropped jacket and/or a flashy jacket in a shorter style. Or, if you want to purchase, here are a few other cropped jackets to consider instead:
- Dress: The is the Fall 2015 cabi Claire Dress, and no longer available. Likely you have a little black dress in your closet (if not, why not!? Go. Get one! Trust me. This is a wardrobe basic we all need), which you can use instead. You could wait for the fall. There often is a black dress in the fall cabi collection and they are great! Here are some similar dresses available now:
- Envelope-Hem Sheath Dress: by Bar III and sold at Macy’s—it has a similar shape, but a faux wrap
- Envelope Scuba Dress: Also by Bar III and sold at Macy’s—it has a similar shape, but a faux wrap with a “slit”, which gives it added sex appeal.
- All-Seasons Stretch Seamed Sheath Dress: By Ann Taylor—I found several good choices on Ann Taylor’s site. This one may be my favorite.
- Tropical Wool Sheath Dress: Another good choice sold at Ann Taylor with a very similar silhouette.
- Or you can make a "dress" out of two pieces in the same neutral shade, such as these great Spring 2016 cabi navy pieces: the Lido Skirt & Sleeveless Drape Double Tee
- Cape: This Gigi Cape from the cabi fall 2105 collection sold out fast. It’s an amazing piece
- Marabou Bolero Shrug: by INC International Concepts and sold at Macy’s this is a faux fur shrug. Not a cape, but you can get some of the same effects
- Faux-Fur Turtleneck Poncho Cape: Also by INC International Concepts and sold at Macy’s—the is a bit dressier than the shrug
- Faux Fox Fur Trim Hooded Cape Wool Blend Cloak Coat: By Kranda at Amazon’s: This has a hood, but the shape is closest and it looks fun!
- Or, consider a larger scarf or shawl. The Met Museum store has a few striking options, including
- Shoes: Sorry, yes, another unavailable item. These are from Target last year, I think. But, Target has some good substitutes:
- Earrings: I kept it simple with gunmetal gray hoops. I bet you can find something similar easily. These were from Charming Charlie a few years ago. If you want to go with something a bit more special:
- Plait Drop Earrings: From Stella & Dot, these silver earrings can be chandelier or drop and have a leather tassel
- Casablanca Chandeliers: It doesn’t much fancier than these stunning earrings from Stella & Dot. I have, and love, the matching necklace
- Grace Chandeliers: Hand cast from a fern in gold, these are delicate and large, also by Stella & Dot.
- Lagoon Earrings: These gorgeous intricate green and gold earrings will provide both a pop of color and a dash of old time glamour. I don't yet own them, but will.
- Or go natural and handmade with the Rose Quartz Dangle Earrings by Shine Chaser: These lovely earring with at a blush of romance to any outfi