Outfit Mission Statement: Integrate dressy jackets into your casual style, by keeping the other elements casual
Welcome to the second week of our first POW series. Remember, POW stands for Piece of the Week, where I show off a week’s worth of outfits focused around one piece, styled seven different ways. I break this “week” of outfits over two weeks, in part to prevent too crazy of a posting schedule! This week I will be posting Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Sunday I will then post the next POW. Check out last week’s post for Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday, which focus on career clothes, date night clothes, and special occasion.
No place like Tuesday outfits are casual, comfy clothes for working from home, working at home, stay at home parenting, and anything else where comfort is key and you are home. Although they will work for errands and anything ere casual is key. The POW (Piece of the Week) is the cabi fall 2015 Media Jacket. As this is a dressier item, there was some challenge in dressing it down, which was fun. I love this result! I added two very casual items: a causal tank and ripped boyfriend jeans. The two dress down the jacket for an overall fun and casual look. I added some booties for a few reasons—they look great with the rolled jeans and I don’t have great casual black shoes (something I will have to work on). These are comfy wedge booties, but you may want to go with something easier to chase toddlers in. One thing I like about this jacket is that I could see just wearing the jeans and racerback tank around the house and then throwing the jacket on to go get groceries or go pick up a kid at daycare or school (possibly hiding any bra straps that might be showing) and looking put-together, but still comfortable and casual. Also, the ripped jeans add a trendy edge, more so then regular jeans would. They also bring back some memories of how cool and “bad boy” (or “girl”) I thought ripped jeans were when they were in last time.
- Make a dressier jacket work for a casual outfit by combining it with very casual pieces
- Grab a nice jacket and throw it on over a casual home outfit when you need to run errands, get kids from school or the playground, or decide to meet a friend last minute for lunch or coffee
- Consider the very trendy ripped jeans to tone down the dressy pieces and add more edge than regular jeans
- If you have a casual life, don’t rule out the dressier jackets that may scream “career” or “office job” to you, you can find ways to integrate them into a casual wardrobe
The clothing items in this outfit are all cabi Fall 2015, and no longer available. Contact me if you must have it and I may be able to direct you to a stylist who has it. I offer ways to substitute from you own closet or alternatives below. I normally will make the POW a currently available item, but my blog launched later than planned.
- Jacket: Shown is the Fall 2015 cabi Media Jacket, which is now unavailable. From your own closet, you can substitute a cropped jacket and/or a flashy jacket in a shorter style. Or, if you want to purchase, here are a few other cropped jackets to consider instead:
- Tank: The tanks shown is the Fall 2015 cabi Horizontal Tank, and no longer for sale. However, cabi has two great replacements in the Spring collection:
- Asymmetrical Tank: This tank comes in white or gray and has a great asymmetrical hem. Either color would work, but the grey might be more casual
- Limoncello Tank: This sporty, yellow and gray tank, has wider stripes on back, for a different look coming and going and has a cool back with modest cutouts. This may be the best replacement for the horizontal tank shown.
- Jeans: Shown are the very popular Dark Destruction Slim Boyfriend cabi Fall 2015 jeans. If you like this particular look, there are many boyfriend style jean out there right now. For a Spring variation, consider:
- Destructed Skinny: A soft skinny with rips like the jeans shown. It’s also available in Curvy.
- Destructed Slim Boyfriend: Or, if you like the shape of the jeans shown, try the ones from this Spring in white!
- Or, for a non-jean casual pants, the Traveler Pant could work: These are olive green with an elasticized ankle hem and flap pockets.
- Booties: These are old Aerosole. Here are some current ones that could work:
- Earrings: I kept it simple with gunmetal gray hoops. I bet you can find something similar easily. These were from Charming Charlie a few years ago. A Spring cabi option are the understated but cute Dolce Charm Earrings--perfect for a casual outfit
Want an outfits that follows the same rules, but with spring pieces? Consider the cabi Spring 2016 Piazza Jacket, Asymmetrical Tank, Destructed Skinny, and the Dolce Charm Earrings, with Soterday Night boots from Aerosole.