Outfit Mission Statement: When you start with a dressy skirt, you don’t need to add a jacket to be profession, just a crisp blouse and sophisticated accessories
Working it Wednesday outfits are professional career clothes, often a step or two above Manic Monday outfits. The POW (Piece of the Week) is the Pleated Star Skirt from Canvas by Lands’ End. A pleated skirt can be a great formal office look with a jacket. But you do not need a jacket for a dressier office look. Instead, add classic and classy pieces, such as a white blouse, statement pearl necklace, sophisticated leopard print belt, and a nude suede pump for a professional take on the pleated skirt with panache.
You’ll notice I added some extra flair with the on-trend wrapping of the button down top. Unlike what I had previously, this shirt, the cabi Fall 2106 It’s a Wrap Shirt, is designed so you can wrap it. There are some buttons that help and the shirt has a trapeze shape to accommodate his. You can also wear the top without wrapping it, for a looser trapeze style. It’s a fun, yet professional top that can easily be worn two very different, on-trend ways.
This star pleated skirt has a lot of office possibilities and can provide a fun career look that still remains professional. It also could be a fun wardrobe staple for a woman in politics. She could rock the vote by wearing the skirt with a cardigan in more casual settings, a nice white shirt (like this), is more formal settings, a navy jacket in a debate, and a campaign tee shirt for fun. I’d vote for her (at last her wardrobe)!
- When starting with a dressy skirt, consider adding a crisp white blouse, and sophisticated accessories for a polished, profession look without a jacket
- Look for versatile pieces that literally transform for an easier budget and time packing, such as this workhorse white blouse that can be a flowing trapeze style or chic wrapped blouse
- With a standout print skirt and bold print belt, consider a nude pump to not distract
- Add a bold belt to draw attention to and narrow the waist, especially when combining a white shirt and a white backed print
- A crisp white wrap blouse will extenuate curves, giving you a more hourglass shape, while still looking professional
- Remember what I said about leopard print (go for fine quality, not trashy)
- Skirt: Pleated Star Skirt from Canvas by Lands’ End
- Shirt: It’s a Wrap Shirt from cabi Fall 2066
- Leopard Print Belt: Kipling Belt from cabi Fall 2015, which is no longer available. Consider the cabi Fall 2016 Zebra Belt or for leaped: Leopard Print Haircalf Belt from Express, the Lush Leopard Print Belt from Chico, or the Lauren by Ralph Lauren on Zappos.
- Shoes: These are nude suede pumps from Target last year. Here are some available options: Lainee Pumps at Target, Glamorous by Aerosoles, and Doppler Radar by Aerosoles.
- Necklace: This is the Fall 2014 cabi Contessa Necklace and no longer available. Consider instead these two Stella & Dot options: Starlet Pearl Necklace and France Pearl Statement Necklace.
- Earrings: These are cabi Fall 2014 Vintage Stud earrings and no longer available. But, consider these Stella & Dot options: Vintage Crystal Studs, Maddie Pearl Earrings, Déjà vu Studs.
Interested in purchasing? If my post inspired you to buy the lovely Pleated Star Skirt from Canvas by Lands’ End or other items from Lands’ End, please consider using my referral link. I’ll get 25% off my next order and be very grateful! Let me know you used my referral link, and give you a shout out including links to your social media.
- Bardot POW: Working It Wrapped, Classy Linen & Denim Wednesday posted June 08, 2016: Make your denim shirt work for work by pairing it with a classic neutral linen trouser and sophisticated accessories.
- Plume POW: Working It Classic & Modern Coco Wednesday posted April 06, 2016: Create a career outfit with the same put-together professionalism as a suit with a few modern interpretations of classic pieces.
- Go-To POW: Working It Classic Nautical Wednesday posted March 23, 2016: Combine the perfect black work trousers with a classic nautical jacket for chic, preppy, and professional look that implies success.
Or, learn how to work It in the other Working It Wednesday posts!