Outfit Mission Statement: Mix a casual, graphic tank with a pretty skirt and classic cardigan for Manic Monday outfit
Manic Monday outfits are easy career clothes to throw on for manic Mondays. This Monday we focus on creating an easy, pretty and on-trend work outfit. The POW (Piece of the Week) is the Pleated Star Skirt from Canvas by Lands’ End. I think cardigans are perfect layers for easy Monday (or easy any day) career looks. They are likely more comfortable than a jacket and more forgiving of any weekend over indulgences. Anyone who has followed this blog may be surprised to learn that cardigans are a recent wardrobe addition for me. I did not used to wear them or even like them. They seemed too kindergarten teacher or librarian to me. Or at least for me. I respected a person who could rock a cardigan. Just on me they felt.. weird… stiff… something. No idea why. But then, I was convinced to buy a cabi cardigan, and I was sold. Now I have several, mostly cabi, but occasionally, I will add a pretty one of another brand, like this Target one. They are a perfect layering pieces and can work for anyone, not just kindergarten teachers or librarians (they just were smarter than me on wearing them).
This is another great transitional outfit. It would work wonderfully for summer, but also can rock for fall. The rope tank had a nautical feel, which is on trend for this fall (not just the Spring and Summer this year!). It gives it a fun, yet classic touch. The neutral color and textured pattern, gives it a refined feel, while toning down the tank and skirt.
I styled this with handmade jewelry for a more casual, natural feel, drawing on the beauty and uniqueness of the pieces. Feel free to dress this up more with statement pieces or even some pearls for a classier feel.
- Never rule out a category of clothing—try it on in several styles and brands and think about if it could work for you
- Trade out your fitted jacket for a soft cardigan for a more casual and comfortable outfit
- Add elements of a trend, like the rope graphic, to be on-trend but not overboard (no nautical pun intended), which may work better in a casual office environment
- When wearing eye-catching prints (rope & stars for instance) in a more conservative office environment, keep your outfit colors to a more limited and neutral-heavy palette
- For a more casual, natural style, wear handmade jewelry featuring beautiful natural stones and gems—this may remind you of the weekend and prompt conversations
- A flat and bare legs works well for warmer temps, but consider tights and boots when the temps cool
- Longer hair? Don’t feel like putting it up? Consider a headband to keep it out of your face
- Take a casual, graphic tank and pair it with a pretty skirt and classic cardigan for business casual outfit with some fun
- Skirt: Pleated Star Skirt from Canvas by Lands’ End
- Cardigan: 3/4 Sleeve Favorite Cardigan by Merona from Target
- Tank: Ahoy Tank from cabi spring 2012—no longer available. Consider instead Anchor Tank Top by friendlyoak, Nautical PIRATE SHIP Map tank by FreeBirdCloth, or the Nautical Ropes Vintage Tank from ZantiquesVintage all on Etsy
- Shoes: Older Aerosoles. Consider instead: Good Times or Tea Shop from Aerosoles, or, these great Velvet Skimmer Shoes from Lands’ End (see below for my referral link)
- Bracelet: Crazy Lace Agate Sterling Silver Cuff Bracelet by Solid Treasures
- Necklace: Citrine Crystal Wire Wrapped Pendant on Vintage Brass Chain by Shine Chaser Jewelry
- Earrings: Mermaid Earrings by Kelly Annie
- Headband: No Slip Grip Skinny Headbands by SCUNCI from Target
Interested in purchasing? If my post inspired you to buy the lovely Pleated Star Skirt from Canvas by Lands’ End or other items from Lands’ End, please consider using my referral link. I’ll get 25% off my next order and be very grateful! Let me know you used my referral link, and give you a shout out including links to your social media.
- Plaid POW: Manic Flannel Monday Posted February 22, 2016: For a cozy yet professional look, take one casual flannel and add lots of professional pieces
- Run Around POW: Elegant Layers and Brights Manic Monday Posted April 18, 2016: Combine a unique skirt with office classics in bright colors for a different, upbeat career look.
- Michelle POW: Manic Peasant in Ponte Monday Posted March 07, 2016: For a casual, yet professional, office look, consider ponte and a peasant blouse with your cardigan
Want more? Check out the other Manic Monday posts!