Outfit Mission Statement: Look for feminine details, like gathers, ruffles, and flares, and add a feminine blouse to turn a blah business suit into lady-like office style
Working it Wednesday outfits are professional career clothes, often a step or two above Manic Monday outfits. The POW (Piece of the Week) is the cabi fall 2015 Love Blouse. This blouse makes a great pop of color in an all-black (or other neutral) suite, as you see here. I paired the Abbott Jacket with the Skater Skirt, creating this black suit. Black suits can often appear harsh, but I tone this one down not only with the feminine Love Blouse, but also by choosing suiting options with feminine features. The Abbott jacket has amazing three-quarter length sleeves with gathers and a twist to give them a unique and very lady-like appeal. The Skater Skirt has a fit and flare styling, which give it swing and more femininity. Together we have gathers, flares, ruffles, and twists for elegant business wear of the tenue de ville (or international business attire/informal) level of dress code. The skirt is also the very comfortable ponte knit I mentioned before—perfectly professional and perfectly comfortable.
- Tone down and bring a lady-like style to the stark black suite with feminine details, like a flared skirt or gathered sleeves
- Add a pop of feminine color with a lovely blouse to also tone down the starkness of a black suit
- As I said in Monday’s post, get ponte knit career clothes, if you don’t already have some (and add more if you do
- For more formal office, keep your accessories small and neutral (such as gold or silver), but feel free to sneak in extra touches, like a belt
- When you have a lovely collar, pop it up over the jacket collar
- Create your own suit from separates, so they work great together and apart
The clothing items in this outfit are all cabi Fall 2015, and no longer available. Contact me if you must have something and I may be able to direct you to a stylist who has it. Look for substitutes from your own closet or check out the alternatives below. I normally with make the POW a currently available item, but my blog launched later than planned and I wanted to share these outfits. The next POW will be of an available item, I promise!
- Blouse: This is the cabi fall 2015 Love Blouse. To find a substitute from your own closet, look for a feminine blouse with a special feature. If you don’t have quite the right blouse to substitute in your closet, consider these cabi Spring 2016 alternatives:
- Vita Blouse: This gorgeous draped blouse is also sleeveless, and has a sexy cutout in the back.
- Bella Top: This feminize, fluttery blouse has a similar feel to the love blouse.
- Plaza Top: This classic, flowing blue and white blouse has a cute Henley collar.
- Tivoli Top: This fierce black and taupe blouse has plenty of cool features.
- Jacket: Shown is the cabi fall 2015 Abbott Jacket. For a business look, any jacket could work. But for this look, something with feminine details is best.
- Verde Jacket: Not as formal, but t has his cotton/spandex mix is soft and stretchy and this green color is amazing! It also has lovely feminine details on the jacket pockets
- Lido Jacket: Also not as formal, this longer navy ponte jacket pairs well with the XXXX shirt for a suit look
- Cruise Jacket: Not as formal, but this nautical theme jacket can work in dressier business settings with ease
- Skirt: This Skater Skirt is also from cabi Fall 2015. There is one skirt in the cabi Spring 2016 collection that could work, the Lido Skirt. This classic pencil skirt is in navy and has a tiered hem for a feminine touch. It is a works perfectly with the Lido jacket to make a skirt. Some skater or fit and flare skirt options:
- Shoes: These are older black open-toed shoes with a bow detail. Consider instead:
- Jewelry: For belt and bracelet, I am wearing the cabi Fall 2016 Heirloom necklace—the necklace converts into several different pieces. My earrings are Vintage Stud earrings for cabi Fall 2014. The cabi Spring 2016 Locket Necklace is also a convertible piece and can be worn as a bracket and belt also, and has a similar feel to the Heirloom. The Dolce Charm Earrings go well with the necklace, and continue the feminine feel.