Outfit Mission Statement: Twist a classic outfit by switching out trendy and fun pieces for the norm
Let’s dive in to our first Plaid POW post, starting this Tuesday this week, instead of the normal Monday start. No place like Tuesday outfits are casual, comfy clothes for working from home, working at home, stay at home parenting, and anything else where comfort is key and you are home. Although they will work for errands and anything were casual is key. The POW (Piece of the Week) is the L.L. Bean Slightly Fitted Scotch Plaid Shirt in Deep Evergreen Tartan. This outfit is a slight twist on a pretty normal casual flannel outfit. In fact, if you were to go to Maine (if not there already) and look around, you would see turtlenecks, jeans, and flannel shirts everywhere right now. So, this is not a surprising way to wear an L.L. Bean Flannel. But, I did say twist. Even a common outfit can be interpreted in unique ways if you think about how to apply the components. Instead of normal jeans, I added trendy destructed jeans, giving it an edgier look. I also traded out the typical turtleneck with a cowl neck shirt, which gives a very different neckline and overall feel to the outfit. The big earrings add a fun focal point and play off the casual and even rustic flannel. The side ponytail also add a twist to normal elements and makes this outfit even less common. Together we have a stylish twist on a classic casual and cozy look.
- Take a common outfit and update a few of the pieces different with trendy or fun variations for a stylish twist on a classic
- Choose big, bright earrings that play off your clothes for a bright, fun update to an old standby
- Want some edge? Go with deconstructed jeans instead of regular jeans
- Change out that turtleneck for a cowl neck shirt for a different neckline and a less uptight feel
- You can even add a “twist” to the common ponytail by making it a side ponytail or doing some other modern take on the classic.
- Flannel Shirt: L.L. Bean Slightly Fitted Scotch Plaid Shirt in Deep Evergreen Tartan
- Cowl Neck Shirt: The cowl neck shirt shown is the cabi fall 2015 Cozy cowl and no longer available. This cowl neck on Amazon is similar. For a spring variation, consider:
- Jeans: These are the cabi Fall 2015 Dark Destruction Slim Boyfriend, and yup, no longer available. However, there are two great cabi Spring 2016 options:
- Earrings: These wire wrapped green sea glass earrings are one of a kind pieces by Shine Chaser Jewelry, but she has a few others you can checkout, including Rose Quartz and Sea Foam Green Sea Glass Wire Wrapped Earrings and White Sea Glass Wire Wrapped Earrings
- Shoes: These are older Aerosoles that are this hybrid boot-styled shoes—not really booties (shooties?). Some cute similar shoes include Commentary, Cinternational, Nostalgic, and Bird Cage (has a more spring feel and open toes—I love these shoes!)
Want to twist a more spring look? Grab the boutique-styled denim Bardot Shirt, the Gathered Tee, and either of the destructed jeans in the cabi Spring 2016 collection—Destructed Slim Boyfriend or the Destructed Skinny (in Curvy or Regular). Go with the white Slim Boyfriends if you are new to mixing denim or the darker wash if you are not shy about mixing. Add Shine Chaser’s White Sea Glass Wire Wrapped Earrings and the Bird Cage shooties for a fun twist on the classic denim shirt look.