Outfit Mission Statement: Turn flannel elegant by adding a dressy skirt and accessories
Sunday Best POW outfits are special occasion clothes for dinning, theater, opera, holiday parties, church, and other such occasions that need something special. The POW (Piece of the Week) is the L.L. Bean Slightly Fitted Scotch Plaid Shirt in Deep Evergreen Tartan. At first I thought dressing this up would be hard, but it really was not. I was lucky that I had the cabi Frolic skirt in this lovely dark pink lace that is the same color as one of the stripes in the blouse. However, I could have gone with a variety of colors and still had it work. Since the shirt is flannel, I really wanted to go dressy on the skirt to counteract the casualness of the flannel. Lace works perfectly. Other things could work too, like sequins, tulle (the adult tutus that are so popular), velvet, and more. Once you add a dressy skirt, the rest is adding the right dressier accessories. When dressing up flannel, denim, or other casual shirts, feel free to go extra dressy with the accessories—faux fur details, luxurious jewelry, fancy clutches, shimmering shoes.
- Look to very dressy and feminine skirts in lace, velvet, tulle, sequins, and other special fabrics to balance out the casual flannel
- Use this as an excuse to bring out those extra special fancy accessories
- Roll the sleeves up to add a modern touch and a bit of class to the shirt
- Play off the colors in the shirt as much as possible with the skirt
- Feel free to be lavish with the dressy accessories—yes you can add a statement pearl necklace, faux fur trimmed scarf, vintage bead clutch, and sparkling heels
- Make sure your hair is also dressier than normal—consider some sort of an up do if you have long hair
- Flannel Shirt: L.L. Bean Slightly Fitted Scotch Plaid Shirt in Deep Evergreen Tartan
- Skirt: This is the Frolic Skirt from cabi Fall 2014 and not available. Consider instead:
- Lido Skirt: Not as dressy, but consider it—from cabi Spring 2016 collection
- Floral Lace Pencil Skirt: This striking Ann Taylor pencil skirt may be even dressier than the Frolic Skirt
- Tulle Midi Skirt: This is a lovely tulle skirt (by Anthropologie), but on the pricier end of what I suggest ($168)
- 6-layer Tutu: Not as gorgeous at the Anthropologie skirt, this is an inexpensive tulle skirt (414.98)—perfect for testing the trend out
- Shoes: Jennifer Lopez’s Women's Metallic High Heels—I’m surprised they are still available at Kohl’s! I got these last year and now they are only $34.99!
- Clutch: This is a vintage clutch (I’m guessing from the 1950s or 1960s) that my mom bought me for Christmas. I’ll put the shop name in where she got it when she gets back to me.
- Scarf: This is the cabi Fall 2015 Twist Scarf, which sold out in black and cream. You can go a few different ways to substitute. You can go with fur or a scarf, or, if you find it a combination. Here are some options:
- Marabou Bolero Shrug: By INC International Concepts and sold at Macy’s this is a faux fur shrug
- Persian Cartouche Burnout Shawl: By the Metropolitan Museum of Art Store, this shawl is a striking black scarf with bright colors and a rug design
- Louis XIV Arabesque Burnout Shawl: Also from the Metropolitan Museum of Art Store, this striking silver and black large shawl will allow you to bring your metal (silver in this case) into your shawl too
- Dunand Deco Floral Scarf: This stunning black, white, and gray has a leaf design based on a beautiful lacquered wood panel and is from the Metropolitan Museum of Art Store
- Necklace: This is the Fall 2014 cabi Contessa Necklace and no longer available. Consider instead these Stella & Dot options:
- Earrings: These are cabi Fall 2014 Vintage Stud earrings and no longer available. But, consider these Stella & Dot options: