Outfit Mission Statement: For a trendy yet classic versatile look, choose black pieces with a twist
TTT Thursday outfits are Trendy, Transitional, and/or Terrific—in other words my choice. It can be whatever other outfit ideas the garment gave me. It may be something very trendy, transitional, terrific, or something else. The POW (Piece of the Week) is the cabi Spring 2016 Go-To Trouser. In many ways this POW outfit is all three Ts—Trendy, Transitional, and/or Terrific.
First, Trendy: Black is very on-trend for this spring and summer. In fact, cabi is calling the trend “summer blackout.” And you get “bonus points” for patterns and floral! The trend is black on black with those florals or patterns mixed in. In the dog-dog days of summer we may not follow this trend as much, when it feels too hot to wear black, but it is a great trend to follow in these cooler times. Plus, black is sophisticated, classic, slimming, and can seem a bit dressier than the same garment in another color. It’s a great trend to wear now, as shown!
Second, Transitional: This is also a good transitional outfit for two main reasons. Black tends to be more associated with the colder months, so it works well for that. But, with the summer blackout trend, it springs well into spring and summer. Plus the cardigan is a wonderful transitional layering pieces—light, but adds a layer of warmth. Perfect for those spring days that are not warm enough for short sleeves or that cool off at night.
Third, Terrific: This outfit is composed of some of my favorite cabi Spring 2016 pieces. The Go-To Trouser is amazing—comfortable, classic, and practical. The Tivoli Top is a best seller this season, and for good reasons. It is flattering, trendy, and unique. The taupe and ivory with black is a nice twist on the higher contrast white and black zebra print we often see. The flow of the top also masks any tummy issues. The relaxed Sorrento Cardigan is a wonderful layer. The knit is lovely and it has side slits for flow and movement. The oversized pockets provides a subtle mixed media look by being woven, not knit. I wasn’t sure about this cardigan, but once I tried it on, I was in love!
All three pieces are terrific—plus great accessories and shoes! So, this outfit is are Trendy, Transitional, and Terrific! Plus, it can work for a business casual work environment, a day at the playground, checking out a museum or the latest flick—this outfit is versatile!
- For a versatile outfit you can work or play in, look for classic pieces with a twist (such as shorter pants and a mixed media cardigans)
- Do play with the “summer blackout” trend, but if black washes you out, put colors near your face, such as a scarf or shirt
- When wearing various black garments, make sure they are of different types of fabric, this will give a more mixed media look, rather than the appearance that one of your black garments is faded
- If you do the summer blackout look with a print or floral, pull out that color with your accessories for a more polished look
- With shorter cropped pants you can still create a long, lean look by wearing heels in the same color as your pants (repeated from Go-To POW: Manic Black & White Monday)
- Trousers: Go-To Trouser from cabi Spring 2016
- Top: Tivoli Top from cabi Spring 2016
- Cardigan: Sorrento Cardigan from cabi Spring 2016
- Shoes: Acme Bootie by Crown Vintage sold at DSW
- Necklace: Brynn Lariat Necklace by Stella & Dot
- Bracelet: Gilded Leather Cuff Bracelet by Bauble Bar
- Earrings: Old antique gold style hoops with hoops; consider instead the small hoops in Orbit Hoop Earrings set by Stella & Dot, the Lady Bug Studs, or Lexington Drops (both by Bauble Bar)