Outfit Mission Statement: Mix prints in the same color family with a pop of a contrasting color/print for a lighthearted trendy outfit
TTT Thursday outfits are Trendy, Transitional, and/or Terrific—in other words my choice. It can be whatever other outfit ideas the garment gave me. It may be something very trendy, transitional, terrific, or something else. The POW (Piece of the Week) is the cabi Spring 2016 Margherita Dress. This POW we are focusing on Trendy! Prints are classic, of course, but very in right now, and mixed prints are quite on-trend. Mixing prints can be scary, but it doesn’t need to be. It can also be very fun—it adds a fresh and exciting flair. This outfit is a mix of four different prints, and is a fun, lighthearted, and a pleasure to wear.
When mixing prints:
- Keep your colors in the same limited color family—here I focus on whites, navy, and black (but don’t be afraid to pop a small piece in another color)
- Consider your stripes (or leopard print) to be a neutral, as I did here with the square dots stripe pattern
- Work with similar types of prints: the dress and jacket both have geometric prints of lines and shapes that are square or square-like
- Mix fabric textures and styling, such as a flowy dress and structured jacket
- Choose a print of neutral for one of the main prints, as shown with the jacket
- Play with size—the stripes on the skirt are large (with small elements) while the jacket has a small sprint and the scarf has a larger print with a lot of white space
- Match one color—as I did with the navy in the dress, scarf, and clutch
- Be adventurous and have fun with it, you may be surprised what actually works together (this outfit was exactly that—I tried the prints together and loved them)
- When wearing an outfit of prints, consider popping one accessory in a bold color or bold and different print
- Match your shoes to the dominate color to go easier on the eye or make this another area of print play!
- Sundress: Margherita Dress from cabi Spring 2016
- Jacket: Coupe Boomer from cabi Fall 2014
- Scarf: Butterfly Print Scarf from In The Bag Design
- Wristlet: Kate’s Garden from Sloan Ranger
- Ring: Pink wire and bead ring by Shine Chaser Jewelry
- Earrings: These are off-white earrings I think I got from Charming Charlie three or more years ago. Consider instead Aria Drop Earrings, Maddie Pearl Earrings, or the Déjà vu Stone Studs, all from Stella & Dot.
- Shoes: Bandolino Galatee Slingback Wedge Mules from Macy’s