Outfit Mission Statement: Turn a sundress professional by wearing a white button-down shirt and a blazer over it
Working it Wednesday outfits are professional career clothes, often a step or two above Manic Monday outfits. The POW (Piece of the Week) is the cabi Spring 2016 Margherita Dress. In some ways this outfit plays off the concept we discussed last time—adding a blazer or cardigan to a sundress to make it work appropriate. To be even more professional, take it a step further: add a blouse too! In this outfit I am treating the sundress like a skirt and wearing a blouse and jacket with it. With a blazer and blouse, you can turn many a thing professional, especially this sundress. I love the blouse and jacket over the more casual flowy skirt with pockets—a touch of fun and flow with formality!
A white blouse is another wardrobe essential, make sure you have at least one. While you can use a variety of different cotton button-down blouses for this look, the white is more professional.
- In a more formal office, go with a classic white blouse and a blazer in the same color family as the main sundress color (less formal? Rock other blouses and jackets as you desire, including contrasts)
- Keeping with a neutral and single other color as the main colors creates a more professional, pleasant tonal outfit
- In a more casual office (or with some types of sundresses), consider wearing the white blouse under the sundress for a more layered look
- Roll the jacket sleeves up a bit to show off the blouse cuff and add a cool touch to the professional look (and a bit of “roll my sleeves up and dive in” busy air) (also discussed previously here and here)
- A simple neutral shoe keeps the focus on the outfit and comes across as more formal—for a more casual office feel free to go bolder and less simple
- Mixed metals can add polish and sophisticate to a professional outfit, while being on-trend
- Sundress: Margherita Dress from cabi Spring 2016
- Blazer: Beachwalk Blazer from cabi Spring 2015, which is no longer available; consider instead the Linen One-Button Jacket by Cason at Nordstrom’s and the Ponte One Button Jacket or the Seersucker Jacket both at Ann Taylor
- Shirt: This is a white button-down from a past season of cabi and nearly any other white button down should work, such as the Perfect Shirt at Ann Taylor, Favorite Shirt by Merona at Target, and the Wrinkle-Free Pinpoint Oxford Shirt from L.L. Bean
- Bracelet: INC International Concepts Gold-Tone Beaded Faux-Leather Bracelet at Macy’s
- Necklace: I’m not actually sure where I got this. It is a few years old. The Villa Necklace from cabi Spring 2106 could work similarly. Or consider these Silpada necklaces: City Girl Necklace, Chain Reaction Necklace, Neon Layers Necklace, Convertible Tier Necklace, and the Double Y-Necklace.
- Earrings: Curvaceous Ear Jackets by Bauble Bar
- Shoes: These are beige suede pumps from Target last year. Available options include Lainee Pumps at Target, Glamorous by Aerosoles, and Doppler Radar by Aerosoles
- Margherita POW: Easy Professionalism Manic Monday posted May 16, 2016. For an easy-to-throw on Monday outfit, grab your favorite sundress and then add a jacket, simple matching jewelry, and comfy shoes.
- Plume POW: Manic Pretty Strong Monday posted April 04, 2016. Mix a military-inspired jacket with skinny jeans and a feminine top for a strong, pretty, casual, yet professional work look.
- Run Around POW: Working It Office Goddess Wednesday posted April 20, 2016. Bring some Grecian Goddess-inspired style to your office with draping in all the right places.