Outfit Mission Statement: Mix a pretty skirt with geek pieces for and edgy, feminine geek chic look!
TTT Thursday outfits are Trendy, Transitional, and/or Terrific—in other words my choice. It can be whatever other outfit ideas the garment gave me. It may be something very trendy, transitional, terrific, or something else. The POW (Piece of the Week) is the Pleated Star Skirt from Canvas by Lands’ End. For this Thursday, we are going with Terrific, in the form of another Geek Chic outfit. Geek Chic is the perfect forum to dress down a pretty pleated skirt or other fancy skirt. Take the pretty skirt and add a fun geek tee or tank and geeky accessories. Then throw on some comfortable shoes. This look can be incredibly versatile—the skirt can be pleated, like this, or tulle, a fun pencil, or something else. I’ll illustrate this in a later post.
I especially love the mix of pretty skirts with geeky tops, when you take something with a bit of an edge, like this Holtzmann tank (Holtzmann is brilliant, strange, mad scientist engineer of the Ghostbusters in the Summer 2016 remake). The combination of edge, feminine, and geeky is interesting, unexpected, and so much fun! I think Holtzmann is the perfect choice for this outfit. While we do not see her in pleated skirts (or skirts) in the movie, she has a vintage, mad scientist style. I could see her rocking a vintage pleated skirt with work boots, a graphic tee, a leather jacket, funky socks, some cool glasses, and, of course, the Screw U necklace (which I am also wearing).
- Don’t be afraid to show your geek with a fun graphic tee or tank and some accessories
- But think outside the normal jeans and a geek tee box—mix the geek with chic for an exciting twist on both
- Mix pretty and soft with your edgy or geeky for a fun contrast and enjoyable way to wear both
- When you have two louder accessories, like the Screw U necklace and Periodic Table cuff, keep other accessories simple
- Rock a comfortable sneaker in a pretty color with your fancy skirts for comfort and some street style, plus this will allow you to wear the skirt in a wider variety of situations
- A muted pastel shoe can work as a neutral, especially with a mix of printed pieces
- Have fun—the pretty skirt doesn’t have to just be styled pretty and the geeky doesn’t have to only be geeky, but mixing works best if you have fun with it
- Skirt: Pleated Star Skirt from Canvas by Lands’ End
- Tank: Kate McKinnon Simple Portrait Sleeveless Tank Top by Kazzar on Amazon (I sized up to an XL, but normally wear a M or L).
- Cuff: Periodic Table Cuff by ZAD from Zulily (email me if you would like an invite to Zulily. If you order, I get a $15 credit)
- Necklace: Holtzmann’s ScrewU Necklace by inspiredbyfandom on Etsy
- Shoes: Monterey Lace-up Sneakers by SeaVees from Stitch Fix (If you are interested in Stitch Fix and want to try it out, please consider using my Referral link . I’ll get a $25 credit and you’ll get my gratitude here and elsewhere)
- Earrings: Shimmer Hoop Earrings from Vera Bradly—which seem to be unavailable. Consider instead Silvertone Hoop Earrings with Pave Crystal Accents by Kenneth Cole New York at Lord & Taylor, Giani Bernini Thin Textured Hoop Earrings in Sterling Silver at Macy’s, and Textured U-Hoop Earrings in 10k White Gold at Macy’s
Holtzmann's take on a pleated skirt:
This is one way I imagine Holtzmann would style the Pleated Star Skirt from Canvas by Lands’ End.
Links to the pieces: Pleated Star Skirt from Canvas by Lands’ End, Sterling 23 Spectre glasses by O’Rigina; Trading Co., Argyle knee high socks from Sock Dreams, Four Seasons Square Scarf from The Met Store, Tweed-ing Lady Vest from Mod Cloth, Elma Deerskin Fingerless Half Finger Driving Gloves on Amazon, Do Not Read The Next Sentence tee from SnorgTees, Zipper Motorcycle Biker Faux Leather Jacket by LJYH on Amazon, Double H 8" Opanka Packer boots on Shoe Buy.
Interested in purchasing? If my post inspired you to buy the lovely Pleated Star Skirt from Canvas by Lands’ End or other items from Lands’ End, please consider using my referral link. I’ll get 25% off my next order and be very grateful! Let me know you used my referral link, and give you a shout out including links to your social media.
- Plaid POW: Flannel Geek Chic Posted March 05, 2016: Mix geek with trendy and a comfy flannel shirt, for a practical geek chic look.
- Run Around POW: The Chic Geek Superhero Thursday Posted: April 28, 2016: Defeat boring outfits by mixing the chic with subtle geek and save the day!