Outfit Mission Statement: Play off the classic pencil skirt with vintage-inspired pieces for a chic, sophisticated, and fun special occasion outfit
Sunday Best POW outfits are special occasion clothes for dinning, theater, opera, holiday parties, church, and other such occasions that need something special. The POW (Piece of the Week) is the pencil skirt in general, and the cabi Fall 2016 Sigourney skirt in particular. The pencil skirt easily dresses up for a special occasion. Since the pencil skirt comes with chic sophistication and elegance, it is easy to combine with other pieces for a special look. Look for other pieces with chic sophistication and elegance to mix with the pencil skirt for maximum impact in any a special occasion. For this outfit, I played off the classic vibe of the pencil skirt with vintage-inspired bold pieces, for a fun, yet classy look.
- To play up the classic style of the skirt, consider other pieces with classic inspirations, like Channel-inspired cardigan
- Feel free to mix vintage pieces (or vintage-inspired pieces) from different times, just choose a common theme like color or print to tie them together
- Dress up solid colors with bold accessories and prints to add a pop of interest
- Choose accessories, like your scarf, shoes, and clutch, that pull out one of your main outfit colors, like the turquoise of the skirt—even if the pieces don’t “match” you will have a sophisticated look
- Add a small “arm party” of a few pretty bracelets that play off the colors of your outfit for a special pop
- No room for a pearl necklace with your scarf? Add the classic touch of pearls in a pretty bracelet instead
- A classic French twist always adds a chic elegance and sophistication
- Skirt: Sigourney Skirt from cabi Fall 2016, which is no longer readily available. See my introductory POW post for ways to get this skirt, turquoise alternatives, or other pencil skirts
- Cardigan: Fencing Cardigan from cabi Spring 2017 (note: I’m wearing the sample, which is too large—in the right size with would be tighter)
- Scarf: Patchwork Scarf from cabi Spring 2017
- Earrings: Beaded Fringe Earrings by Jessica Simpson via Le Tote use my referral link for a free Tote!)
- Shoes: Blue Floral Issy Pump by Ruby Shoo via Zulily (let me know if you want an invitation, I can send you one)
- Clutch: This Peacock Feather Embroidered Velvet Clutch is based on a print in Combinaisons Ornementales—“the ‘bible’ of decorative Art Nouveau elements according to the Metropolitan Museum of Art Store. Sadly, this is no longer available, but consider the Peacock Feather Clutch from Its So Clutch, the Teal Feather Clutch from Red Ostrich (actual feathered clutch), or the Embroidered Peacock Feather Clutch from Paulownias all on Etsy.
- Pearl Bracelet: Baroque Multi-Color Bracelet by eSBe*
- Gray and Silver Bracelet: Eve Gray Agate Stretch Bracelet by eSBe*
- Black Bracelet: Older one, no longer available, by eSBe—consider the Sable Stretch Bracelet* instead
*For all eSBe orders and questions, I recommend my eSBe Stylist, Suzanne Wall Joffrion—her ID is 246131. She will be featuring a $50 gift certificate drawing for all orders $50 or more using the new eSBe app made between April 1–5! What a great time to try out eSBe or add to your collection!
- Beyond POW: Chic Classy and Faux Fur Sunday Best Posted October 15, 2016: Combine rich colors and textures with an elegant draped top for an elegant and sophisticated special occasion look that will make you feel like a million dollars
- Michelle POW: Backwards Lace and Some Flutter Sunday Best Posted March 13, 2016: Don’t throw a cardigan on, choose a special cardigan and plan your special occasion outfit around it!
- Plaid POW: Sparkling & Flannel Sunday Best Posted February 28, 2016: Turn flannel elegant by adding a dressy skirt and accessories
Or peruse the other Sunday Best special occasion outfits.