Outfit Mission Statement: Mix easy basics and comfortable pieces with your chic pencil skirt for a nice twist on casual
No place like Tuesday outfits are casual, comfy clothes for working from home, working at home, parenting (at home), and anything else where comfort is key and you are home. Although they will work for errands and anything else casual. The POW (Piece of the Week) is the pencil skirt in general, and the cabi Fall 2016 Sigourney skirt in particular. Pencil skirts may give off a certain va va voom, but with a cozy cardigan sweater or plain tee you can dress them down for a fun alternative to a tee shirt (or sweater) and jeans. You can opt for a plain pencil skirt or go fancy and have fun dressing down a lace one, as shown below. Focus on mixing the pencil skirt with comfortable pieces that are forgiving and even loose to balance the pencil skirt, and make sure your feet are comfortable.
I’m showing two outfits here, a cozy winter one for those of you in more northern climes (and may have just gotten snow), and a cooler spring version for those of us getting hotter temperatures. Both follow the same concept, and both can be a fun way of dressing down a pencil skirt.
- Choose comfortable tops with a forgiving and even loose cut to balance out the smooth, body hugging pencil skirt
- Opt for a fun, but more casual accessory, like an animal print belt or funky necklace
- If you have a solid pencil skirt (like the Sigourney skirt), you can mix print for a fun, more whimsical way to dress it down
- If you have a fancier pencil skirt, like the blue lace one, go for basics in solid colors to dress down
- Go for comfortable, practical shoes, such as canvas sneaker or fuzzy boots
- You can treat the long lean shape of a pencil skirt like leggings or skinny jeans and wear longer, even bulky layers over it, like with leggings and skinny jeans, you’ll end up with a longer, lean line
- Don’t be afraid to dress the pencil skirt down and take her to the park or running errands—you’ll look great and feel just a bit more sophisticated
Sigourney Skirt outfit:
- Skirt: Sigourney Skirt from cabi Fall 2016, which is no longer readily available. See my introductory POW post for ways to get this skirt, turquoise alternatives, or other pencil skirts
- Sweater: Belted Open Front Cardigan from JustFab (use my referral code to save money)
- Boots: Duluth boots from JustFab, which are no longer available, but there are some other options (use my referral code to save money)
- Tee: Bowie Tee, also from cabi Fall 2016, and no longer readily available (same buying options for the Sigourney, see my my introductory POW post), but there are some great options in the Spring 2017 cabi line, such as the knit Carousel Tank, the Confetti Cami for the mix of colors, or the sporty Cross-Strap Tank
- Belt: Zebra Belt, also from cabi Fall 2016 (same buying options for the Sigourney, see my introductory POW post), or consider the Furry Zebra Belt from Yonder Leather Company, the Zebra Printed Belt from Lucky Brand, or got for leopard print with the Leopard Print Haircalf Leather Skinny Belt from Ann Taylor or the Leopard Print Calf Hair Belt from Target
- Earrings: Baroque Gunmetal Earrings by eSBe
- Nails: A winter Jamberry wrap no longer available, but check out the others!
Lace skirt outfit:
- Skirt: Cyndi Lace Pencil Skirt by Brixon Ivy via Stitch Fix (use my referral link for $25 of your first Fix)
- Tee: Origami Pocket Tee cabi Spring 2015, and not readily available (same buying options for the Sigourney, see my my introductory POW post), consider instead the Double-V Tee or the Sleeveless Laidback Tee
- Shoes: Monterrey Lace-up Sneakers by SeaVees from Stitch Fix (use my referral link for$25 of your first Fix)
- Bracelet: Soleil Bracelet from eSBe
- Necklace: St. Tropez Necklace from cabi Spring 2017
- Pleated Star POW: Pretty Terrific Geek Chic Thursday Posted September 29, 2016: Mix a pretty skirt with geek pieces for and edgy, feminine geek chic look!
- Run Around POW: Muted, Playful Contrasts at Home Tuesday Posted April 26, 2016: Dress down your black skirt in muted tones, with pops of fun and sunshine
- Margherita POW: Easy, Breezy Contrasts Tuesday Posted May 10, 2016: For coverage and/or added casualness, wear a contrasting tied tee shirt over your favorite sundres
Or browse the other casual “No Place like Tuesday” outfits and tips!